LEONIA, N.J.– The Leonia United Methodist Church will offer a preview in September for a new type of worship service.
"These services are relaxed and fun, but also powerful spiritual experiences," the church said on its website.
The preview is scheduled for Sept. 15 at 8 p.m. in Tyson Hall.
During this session, attendees can expect the following:
- Worship leaders and the congregation dressed casually;
- Seating is in rows, on couches and around table “coffee-house-style;"
- Coffee and other refreshments served before, during and after the service;
- Worship beginning with a completely informal, hang out time;
- Projected art and props are used to set the scene artistically to support the theme of the service;
- Singing accompanied by guitar, drums, keyboard, and/or other instruments;
- A secular song to introduce the theme and help those without church experience feel more at home;
- Time for light discussion to help listeners better connect to the big idea;
- Various other surprises.
The church wants to launch a new, weekly worship service in an alternative style beginning in October, according to its website.
"In the meantime, the preview offers the opportunity to experience what the new worship service may eventually be like," the website states. "The previews also offer the opportunity for Leonia Church to experiment with different worship styles and elements."
Leonia United Methodist Church is at 396 Broad Ave.