DV Home Cooking is devoted to readers and their recipes. All we ask is that you're a home cook, not a professional chef. Got a favorite dish you want to share? Send it, along with the story behind it, to DVHomeCooking@dailyvoice.com.
Home Cook: Julie Sahagian, Palisades Park, N.J.
"Cooking on a nightly basis can be challenging. After exhausting numerous recipes, I had to become creative. I decided to create my own dish with ingredients I had on hand ... chicken, sausage, sun dried tomatoes, broccoli, feta cheese and pasta. The end result is a delicious, satisfying and substantial meal that will easily feed a family of four. You can omit chicken or sausage if you like."
Recipe: Pasta with Chicken, Sausage, Broccoli and Feta
- 1 lb. Italian sweet and hot sausage (I pre-cook so it is easy to slice)
- 1 package thin sliced chicken breasts
- 1 cup sun dried tomatoes (cut into strips)
- 1 can black olives (sliced) (optional)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- Feta cheese
- Chicken broth
- 1 bag of frozen broccoli florets or fresh broccoli
- 1 lb. pasta (I use penne or campanelle)
- Cut up chicken, sauté in a little olive oil with the onions and garlic.
- As the meat is browning, add the sun dried tomatoes along with the sliced olives; let that sauté for a while,.
- Add a little onion powder, garlic powder, some parsley flakes or fresh parsley, then add some chicken broth.
- Add the sliced, cooked sausage, and the frozen or fresh broccoli (I cut the florets into smaller pieces), mix in the feta cheese and let broccoli heat through, add additional broth if the liquid evaporates.
- If you run out of chicken broth and need a little more liquid, use the water from the pasta. The end result should have some juice but not too much to make it watery. You can also add hot red pepper and grated cheese before serving.
- When pasta is cooked, add mixture and enjoy!